Monthly Archives: February 2013
- although I don’t have the beard and the Power Clean ability as the manimal pictured above, I do have the shirt and the shorts!
- today is the final day to finish off your Testing items
- please hand in completed sheet to Coach at the end of the period (you may use MSIP)
- next week we will be starting our training in earnest!
- I will be collating the data to put up new Top Ten lists, so hand in your sheet for sure!
It’s not. It never was, and it never will be. This is how we learn: we get burned. And that’s okay. Pain is the price we pay: physical, mental, spiritual.
You don’t want the cheap lesson. You don’t want to do what everybody else does. You don’t want the big soft pillow catching your big soft ass when you fall. You won’t get smarter that way; you’ll only get dumber. And do you really want to go through life like that? No.
Earn it, learn it. It will hurt, but it will make you better.
And if it doesn’t? Move on, quickly. You’re paying the wrong price. Find the schoolhouse, not the foolhouse.
- We are heading into Day 4 of the Testing Week: people are really pushing their limits!
- remember that these benchmarks will serve as your starting point. You will also utilize your Maximum Lifts in the 5/3/1 Wendler program.
- I know….
Suggested Test items:
- you should be finishing off your items as you only have two days left!
- We are now onto Day 3 of the Testing – people are working exceptionally hard, and the numbers and times are quite impressive!
- It is great to see people cheering, coaching and pushing their own limits!
- do yourself a favour and make sure that you watch the Open Games Update show from the main site – it is very well done and features the infamous Pat Sherwood (one of my CrossFit Level 1 instructors and Maddy Curley (former gymnast, CrossFitter extraordinaire and movie star)
- Test Items:
- Power Clean
- 1000m row
- this awesome poster is from RedBlack Gym and Coach Winchester!
- last night’s adult class was completely on fire!
- look for the upcoming artwork to adorn our walls – it will be done soon by CPHS grad, Geoff Coombs – it is exceptional!
- yesterday, there was already an avalanche of PRs from people who were in the Semester 1 class!
Suggested Test Items:
- Push ups
- Sit ups
- Push Press
Check out the main page of CrossFit (www.crossfit.com) – go to February 25 page and watch video of Karianne Dickson destroy Grace!
- This week you will establish your Fitness Benchmarks by completing all of the fitness tests found on the Fitness Testing Master sheet
- The tests, for the most part, are similar to those found on our website’s CPHS Fitness Standards PDF (there are a few exceptions)
- You must get through all tests by the end of Friday. Use your time efficiently. You do not have to time to dawdle, talk, idle or otherwise waste time
- If you have specific injuries, please speak to me. If you miss a class, you will need to use MSIP time to catch up. After school, or at lunch, are also optional catch-up times
- You must hand in a completed sheet by the end of Friday.
Suggested Test Items for today:
- CrossFit Baseline
- Bench Press
- Box Jumps
- we begin our Fitness Testing on Monday!
- todays’ WOD is a classic CPHS Chipper – get through it any order; perform perfect reps
- 22 push ups
- 22 jumping jacks
- 22 kb swings with heaviest weight you have ever swung (you can use dumbbells, too)
- 22 GHD sit ups
- 22 bench press with at least 60%/40% BW
- 22 push press 75/45
- 22 burpees
- 22 pull ups
- 22 Zercher squats with at least 60%/40% BW
- 22 pulls on the rower
- 22 flips of the tire (between you and a partner pushing it back and forth)
- 220 skips or 55 double unders
- 22 single-leg deadlift with dumbbells
- 22 slam balls
- wall hip opener
- A’s and B’s in hallway
- butt kicks
- high knee drills
- leg swings
- KB snathces
- Arnie Pull-overs
In teams of 2:
EVERY MINUTE ON THE MINUTE
PARTNER ONE COMPLETES :
- 4 Wall Ball
- 3 Box Jumps
- 2 Knees to Elbows
- 1 Burpee
WHEN THE BURPEE IS COMPLETE
PARTNER TWO GETS THE REST OF THE MINUTE TO COMPLETE:
THE WORKOUT IS OVER WHEN AS A TEAM YOU HAVE ACCUMULATED 75 KB Swings and 75 Goblet Squats done is any order.
PARTNERS SWITCH STATIONS EACH MINUTE.
(adapted from CrossFit Connection)
- when you are done, you can do 20 Kb snatches for both right and left hands
- then complete 20 Arnie Pullovers
I guess we will be doing some squats today!
- back squat
- clean and jerk
- Pendlay Rows
Part A: Complete 5 rounds of the following Complex:
- 3 Deadlifts; 3 Hang Power Cleans; 3 Front Squats; 3Push Jerks; 3 Back Squats; 2 Back Thrusters
- rest long enough for your partner to complete and add weight
- ideally, you will add weight and increase load for each round
Part B: Complete 6 trips in the hallway of the following:
- 5 v-ups
- sprint hallway
- take 1 minute rest between each round
Part C: Complete the following:
- 10 Swiss Bar Presses
- 10 Pendlay Rows
- 10 KB swings with rubber band
- 30 calories on rower or Airdyne
- It is with heavy heart that I mention to students that Mr. Pritchard (“Pritch”), former English teaching legend at CPHS, and loving husband of our beloved Mrs. Pritchard and father to their daughter, Emma, passed away Saturday morning after losing the battle to lymphoma.
- He will be fondly remembered by 40 years of CPHS students.
- Junkyard dog warm-up
- 3 sets of 5 reps
2 min ME (maximum effort) of either: push ups, dips, bar dips or ring dips
followed immediately by:
21 OHS (overhead squats) 65/35
1 lap of hallway farmers walk with heavy kbs or dbs
15 Snatches 65/35#
1 lap of farmers walk
9 ground to Overhead 95/55#
1 lap of farmers walk
2 min ME t2b (toes to bar or knees up)
When you are done, choose a partner and complete the following (only one partner working at a time):
- 2 minutes of wall ball
- 2 minutes of skipping
- 2 minutes of sit ups
- 2 minutes of pull ups
- on your own – make sure you are properly warmed up and primed for workout
- depending on how you feel, choose one of the two following Girl WODs
5 rounds of the following:
- 20 pullups
- 30 push ups
- 40 air squats
- 50 sit ups
3 minute rest between rounds
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet: you may have to scale the suggested weights
Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight
Set up three bars and storm through for time.