Day 1: Friday, February 3
1. What is CrossFit and why do we use it as the basis of our Strength and Conditioning program here at CPHS?
CrossFit is by design broad, general and inclusive. Its specialty is in not specializing, and its workouts elicit a maximal neuro-endocrine response from your body by taxing your body to its core with variety, intensity, and multiple joint, full body, functional movements.
CrossFit has been called “The Sport of Fitness” because it re-introduces personal athletic achievement and performance to training. The mindset at the start of each workout is to be stronger, move faster, more efficiently, with better form than ever. This is why even after years of training CrossFit style, scores and times in workouts continue to drop and athletes continue to improve. It’s hard, fun, exciting, challenging, and will push you to be your absolute best!
One of the things that makes CrossFit unique is that it addresses the fact that the fitness needs of an “Average Joe” are identical to that of a top athlete – the only difference being intensity (speed & weight) and volume. In all cases, the best results come when training included functional movement (that which replicates real life movement), at high intensity and with constant variety. Any exercise program that meets these three criteria can be considered “CrossFit,” from shoveling dirt, hauling rocks and cutting down trees to weightlifting, pull ups and sprinting.from Chris Cooper at Catalyst Athletics
2. What does this really mean?
- 25 Jumping Jacks
- Our program is designed for scalability and applies equally well to all individuals regardless of age or fitness level.
- By varying the load and intensity, we start you at a level appropriate to your fitness and experience.
- With commitment and hard work you will achieve greater general fitness and a high degree of athleticism.
- We take an old-school approach emphasizing fundamental, functional movements with proper technique.
- You will learn and get fit with ever-changing workouts that combine bodyweight exercises, weightlifting, and a huge variety of high-intensity drills that combine cardio and strength challenges at the appropriate level for each person.
- The stimulus provided is always varied and the results are dramatic.
- The atmosphere is one of support and camaraderie to anyone willing to put in the work.
Courtesy of CrossFit Inc.
- out the door, run to the stairs, blast up them one time
3. Secrets to Success (see blog)
SHOW UP and…
- commit to change
- commit to learning new skills
- commit to excellence (virtuosity)
- commit to discipline of hard work and rigor
- be coachable
- be a coach
- 20 Mountain Climbers
4. How will I be evaluated?
- participation (attendance and effort)
- acquisition and demonstration of knowledge
- acquisition and demonstration of skills and progress
- journal (blog, written or use of app)
5. Rules of our gym (see blog)
- SAFETY IS ALWAYS THE PRIORITY!
- WORK VERY HARD EVERY DAY
- PUT EQUIPMENT AWAY WHERE IT BELONGS
- EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME TEAM
2 rounds of the following:
- 10 Push Ups
- 10 Sit ups
- 10 Air Squats
- 10 Hollow Rocks
- 10 Box Jumps