Secret to Success
Your Secret to Success
Consistency is possibly the most important part of an exercise program. Even if you use the best exercise program in existence (i.e. CrossFit) and give 100% effort when you work out, if you’re only doing it once a month it will have little effect on your overall health and fitness. Additionally, you must have consistency before intensity. If you are not consistent enough to get to the point where you can add intensity, you are really missing out on results.
The bonus with this unique course is that you are forced into being consistent by enroling. It is easy to be consistent with a coach on your back at all times, but the end goal is that you will be better equipped and motivated to make fitness a major part of your life beyond the Strength and Conditioning classroom.
Your goal should be to make exercise a part of your daily life. Put it on your calendar first. Make it your number one priority – after all, if you can’t take care of yourself, how on earth will you take care of your family or succeed in your job? If you are in fact consistent with your exercise, it will become part of your life. You won’t even have to think about it – it will become automatic…a habit.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle
Here are some tips to make exercise a part of your daily life:
- Schedule your workout and put it on your blog.
- Show up even if you are tired or feel like garbage. Tell yourself to just get through the warm-up and then stop if you want – chances are you’ll be ready to keep going. You just have to overcome inertia…
- Don’t make excuses. Real life doesn’t care about excuses. If it’s not life or death, it can probably wait an hour until you’re done with your workout. This includes your cell phone – park it!
- Train with a friend. You are more likely to stay consistent if you train with a” super firiend”. Find someone you like to help keep you on track. Or just show up consistently to our classes and you’ll find new training partners.
- Keep a workout log. On your BLOG. It will help you stay accountable.
- Post your results. Tell everyone how you did in our comments section – everyone will start looking for your posts and if we don’t see ’em, we’ll call you out.
- Reward yourself. At the end of the week, if you haven’t missed any of your workouts, treat yourself to something you enjoy (in moderation).
(adapted from CrossFit Rockwall)